Monday 31 January 2011

Should You Really Put Exercise Equipment in Your Dining Room?

One of my favorite quotes goes something like this. "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." Little did I know when I first took a liking to this statement just how true it would be for me and my life. 

A while back I wrote this item about what to do with the room  that would have belonged to my son. It was a very emotional decision to make. After all, we had hopes and dreams of raising our child in that room which were taken away. Ultimately we decided to make it a gym because we both need to get in shape. It seemed the perfect choice. A completely new room as opposed to turning it back into a guestroom.

A fresh start.

Something positive.

So we cleared out all the stuff that was left in the room (which wasn't much). I bought an exercise ball and we ordered a treadmill. We picked out just where it would go in the room and even considered getting a TV mounted on the wall across from it. There were a few delays with delivery because apparently we weren't the only ones purchasing exercise equipment right after New Year's Day. We were anxiously awaiting our new fitness room.

The treadmill arrived today and wouldn't you know it??? It wouldn't fit up our narrow, curving, English staircase. Shit! That staircase has been the bane of my existence since we moved in. Nothing of any size will make the sharp 45 degree turn that this staircase takes. In fact, I had to leave a bunch of our furniture in storage back in the US just for this reason. Nothing like having to move to a new country and then immediately have to buy furniture when you don't even know the names or locations of any furniture stores. That's a story for another time,,,,,, but my fellow expats know what I'm talking about.

Next to the China Cabinet, isn't that just lovely?

So our brand new, state of the art treadmill is now sitting in our dining room. Good times! Just what you want to look at when you're trying to eat,,, a treadmill. But it's the only place it will fit. So we have an overcrowded dining room downstairs, and an empty bedroom upstairs. How much does that suck?

Well that's what I get for trying to make plans.

12 comments:

  1. LOL. New diet technique? You can "see" mine from my dining room. We have a fairly small house, so it's in the living room, which you can see from the dining room. Hey! You've gotta do what you've gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!! oh well... having it there is motivation not to overeat, maybe?

    I can relate somewhat to your struggles with trying to have a child. We had two stillbirths and a miscarriage so I have been pregnant five times and have two living children.

    I just found you through For the Love of Blogs and am your newest follower.

    Joy & Blessings,
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same dilemma. What to do with the guest room-that-we-turned-into-a-nursery-and-now-want-to-turn-it-back-into-a-guest-room. The huge antique day bed would have to be dismantled again to get it back in there. *sigh*

    Don't you wish they make a foldable treadmill when this happens? The torture machine Bowflex can be folded, why not a treadmill right? You could look at it this way - you could be motivated not to eat too much when the treadmill is there. See it's now working its magic even if you haven't gotten on it yet. Brilliant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time visiting your blog- I am so sorry you lost your little boy. I don't think I would be strong enough to handle that, but good job for trying again- I hope you get a positive on that pregnancy test soon:-)

    I had to laugh at the treadmill- thats what you get for having good intentions, huh? Thats such a bummer. I wonder if its too late to return it and get one that is more collapsable that may fit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The worst part is that the treadmill we bought is the folding up kind. It's just that our staircase is incredibly narrow with a sharp curve. We knew in advance it might not go but were hopeful. So for now we've got a motivating object in our dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog! I'm now following from the January Blog Hop! Please follow back at: www.dandygiveaway.com. Feel free to enter to win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered your blog on FTLOB and have enjoyed reading. I'm so sorry about your son and I'm glad this blog is helping you. I look forward to reading more!
    Jodi
    jodibeansblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for joining the Makin' Me Crazy Monday Blog Hop!  Great blog!
    I'm your newest follower <3

    I can't wait to read more!

    Nomie's Three Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I was thinking that I would personally enjoy some sort of workout machinery, but if they don't disassemble well then forget it! It's not so bad either though because if it is right there then you sort of have to look at it and then you might be more apt to use it! Much love~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that is very funny.. at least you won't forget about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sucks big time because everyone knows that exercise equipment is just a really expensive type of laundry hanger, so now you have to watch your clothes dry whilst you eat! (popped over from Blog Gems)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this when you first posted, and now I'm visiting it again from Blog Gems. So, have you used it much?

    ReplyDelete