Monday 21 November 2011

A Weekend Scare

I am quickly learning that in my new normal as a pregnant woman I am completely paraniod. Both myself and The Hubby have to come to terms with our new, not so calm selves.

We had a scare over the weekend. I started spotting on Saturday night. Now I know that no 8 week pregnant woman wants to see blood on the toilet paper, but this really put me in a tailspin. I quickly called the emergency line at my fertility clinic and the nurse on the other line did her best to assure me that spotting is common and not necessarily a sign of impending doom. She went through the list of symptoms including cramping and I didn't have any of them. She advised me to take it easy and call back on Monday to schedule an ultrasound.

The spotting was done by Sunday morning but my paranoia was not. I was in a panic everytime I had to go to the bathroom. The Hubby was asking for "status reports" after every pee. "All clear?" he would ask me. Each time the answer was yes, but I couldn't believe this was now my life. Frantically checking the toilet paper and then screaming out the results to The Hubby who would be anxiously awaiting my answer. It would have been really funny if it wasn't so amazingly scary.

On Monday morning I called to my new OB (although they call them Consultants over here) to ask for an emergency scan. I had an appointment for next week but they happily pushed it up a week. I was a wreck all day waiting for the appointment. Even though I'm riddled with nausea, exhaustion, and a super sniffer I was so scared that something would be wrong. I worried that all these pregnancy symptoms were somehow in my head. My mind playing tricks on me.

Thankfully all is well. My doctor inserted Mr Wandy and within seconds reassured The Hubby and I that there was indeed a heartbeat. Frosty is fine and doing well. No sign of where the bleeding was coming from. He seems to think it's the Endometrin irritating my cervix. He wants me to stop taking it and is switching me to another form of progesterone.

So the good news is that the baby is fine. The bad news is that this new form of progesterone needs to be inserted rectally!! Yikes. So from now until the 13th of December I will be inserting a progesterone suppository up my butt twice a day. No fun! I thought my days of utilizing the "back passage" as they like to call it over here were over. But nooooooo.

If you've been following my blog for a while you will remember my reaction the last time I had to use suppositories. If not, take a quick read  and enjoy the music video that makes me laugh everytime I see it. Oh, but it's not completely safe for work so you may want to wait until you get home.

22 comments:

  1. Good to know everything is fine. Well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god Frosty is still doing good. I would've been freaked out too if I had saw blood, even if it is common. I never did the progesterone rectally but had to take mine twice daily vaginally. Oh the joys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! Scared me just reading this bit of news. Hang in there frosty! Sending lots of good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you've had some scary moments, but thrilled for you that everything is well with Frosty. Much baby love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the little one is doing well! I wish they would just give you Prog in oil shots! I'd much rather shoot my butt up than put anything up there... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so sorry about the scare. Glad all is well with you and frosty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing about a pregnancy this time around is easy. I still check the toilet paper every.single.time. We will be paranoid we will freak out because we know what is possible. Sending good thoughts your way and I am so glad to hear everything seems to be okay. Hang on frosty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand at a distant view of how your new normal as a prego women is totally changed. I imagine I will be the same when I finally become pregnant. Glad that Mr. Wandy could calm your fears of any wrongful turns and all is well. Take care,
    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that all is well. Sucks about the back passage meds. The things we do...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, bleeding is so scary. I bled a TEENY bit in Hope's pregnancy, and that was bad enough, as an innocent who didn't yet know about loss. I bled a teeny bit in both of my next two pregnancies which resulted in living babies, and those occasions just about destroyed me. If nothing else, took years off my life.
    Hang in there.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whew! Yeah, bleeding is common...but that doesn't make it any less scary. Take a deep breath.... I hope that it never happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been commenting much, but I've been following along on your journey. I'm so happy that the scare was only a scare and that things are going so well for you. Good luck with the new progesterone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh thank goodness! Yes I have heard of prog. irritating the cervix from many fellow IF'ers. You could also do injections instead of the shitty (ha) rectal supp's. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad it was just a scare! I have done the rectally once but only a few days from egg-retrieval to transfer. But that was enough.. oh the things we do eh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must have been such a relief to see your little one's heartbeat :) I think that all pregnant BLM and.or IF/IVF mums should have a free pass to get them through pregnancy without any hitches... we've already been through so much. Hope the new prog helps stop anymore scares xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending bundles of hugs to you x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, man, I can feel your panic... I am truly happy all is well....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to read that all is well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. (removed my previous post due to rambling) not english countryside rambling, but the wordy non-sensical type.

    Okay.

    ER for spotting. Been there. Not fun. Great blog! Hang in there! Contemplating a move to the UK ourselves (Brit husband).

    Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. p.s. spotting is common, but that doesn't make it easy when it happens, especially after a loss.

    ReplyDelete