Ouch. OK, wow, this must be why I woke up at 4am. Hmm, if I can just roll over again maybe the pain will go away. Nope, that's not working either,,, I'm really in pain. I roll over to wake the hubby but of course he's not there because he's away on business. So I'm home alone with these dull achey pains in my upper stomach and back.
Keeping calm would have been advisable, but it's 4am and I'm home alone so of course I start to freak out.
- Maybe my appendix is bursting.
- Maybe I have some sort of ulcer.
- Maybe the ulcer has made a hole in my stomach and the acid is leaking all over my other organs. - I told you I was freaking out.
- What if I can't fly after surgery?- In my head I've had my appendix taken out already.
- What if we have to cancel this cycle due to this pain?
- What if it ruins everything?
- Is that another symptom or am I just dizzy from hyperventilating?
- What if I pass out?
- I'm home alone, who will find my body? Then I remember that my personal trainer is set to come over at 9:30 so at least if I fall down and can't get up there will be someone coming over who can call 999 (that's 911 for you Americans).
Not satisfied with that I rang my doctor's office and made an appointment for 10am. At my appointment I explained everything to the doctor including my upcoming IVF cycle and all the rest. She knows my history and what happened to my son so she understands just how sensitive and stressful this cycle is for me. She did a good exam and asked me a bunch of questions as well. By this time I had taken some ibuprofen and the pain was gone.
- My appendix isn't bursting.
- I don't have an ulcer and therefore said ulcer is not burning a hole in my stomach causing the acid to leak over all my organs.
- This pain is not being caused by all the hormones I'm injecting.
- She is sure that any dizziness I had was due to freaking out and hyperventilating.
- This issue shouldn't affect my ability to fly and I will be able to go ahead with the embryo transfer next week.
I really should have figured it out myself. They hubby hates Indian food so when he goes away I sometimes order my favorite curry to be delivered. It's a bit of a treat which I don't have very often. I've got a sensitive stomach and I usually pay for the curry dinner with heartburn and a bit of an upset tummy. So combine this with the fact that I've got a lot on my mind (wow, understatement of the year) and you've got a recipe for total abdominal meltdown.
So I'm not dying,,, I just need to lay off the Indian food. Her advice was to take it easy and try to relax. If only I could figure out how to manage that one. She also advised bland foods and lots of water. If I have any more pain then I need to come back, but she seems to think this is a one-off type of thing. I hope she's right because I've already got too much to worry about.
Why do these things always happen at 4am??
Pouring my heart out with Shell over at Things I Can't Say.