Wednesday 2 July 2014

Flash.... Backs

2010- The world stops. She can hear her husband sobbing inconsolably. He is screaming, "No, no. Do something. Can't you save him?" She can hear his wails but is completely numb. She feels nothing.

Flash

2014- I am driving to my 36 (almost) week scan. Frostina is with a sitter and The Hubby is out of town. I am blasting the radio and singing along.

Flash


2010- She and her husband are sitting in the room waiting for the doctor to come in and do her ultrasound. While they are grateful that they have a doctor to do all their scans, it's annoying when he runs late as he is prone to do. They have already waited over 30 minutes just to get in the room and now they are waiting again. She is annoyed because she worries that the smoothie she drank to wake the baby up will "wear off" before the scan finally starts.

Flash

2014- It's my 36 week scan. A huge milestone for me. In my first pregnancy it's where things all fell apart. A fact that I am doing my best to repress. After all, I decided to try and focus on the good things and not the fear this time around. I turn the radio up and sing a little louder.

Flash

2010- She is 36 weeks pregnant with her miracle baby. There were lots of worries along the way but once they got the good results at their 20 week scan she has been anxiously awaiting the arrival of their much wanted baby boy. They are all clear.

The day is hectic. Her Hubby has invited a group of his employees over for dinner because they are all in town for a meeting. He has escaped this meeting for the scan but has to rush back once it's over. The plan is to have the scan; meet with her OB to discuss the results; and then he goes back to work and she goes home to finish cooking the chili and tidying up the house before everyone arrives. So this delay for the scan is quite annoying.

Finally he goes out to see what the delay is. After all, they both have a very busy day and they have waited long enough. The doctor comes in a few minutes later full of apologies and excuses for his tardiness. He readies the machine and begins the scan.

The two of them look to the screen to see their little boy.

He begins to focus on the head and starts to take measurements, just like normal. But then there is a hesitation. She notices but brushes it off. He backs up the scan and starts again. This time looking at the head from a different angle, and then another. Then he quickly switches views to one she isn't familiar with. His tone changes and he starts asking her questions.

Flash

2014- She knows what's coming next. This memory has been creeping up on her for weeks. You can repress these things but somehow they have a way of catching up to you. She can feel the tears well up in her eyes as she drives down the Florida Turnpike.

Flash

2010- When was the last time you felt the baby move? The answer was an hour ago, just after the smoothie. She finds out later that this couldn't possibly be true. He goes on to ask if there has been a decrease in movement lately. The answer was, "Of course because we all know they run out of room at the end."

Flash

2014- The tears are now flowing. Turning up the radio and singing loudly doesn't deter them.

Flash

2010- She can't figure out why he is asking these questions while flicking the ultrasound machine from one body part to another. He wants to know exactly when she noticed a decrease in movement. He asks several ways before she finally becomes alarmed. "Why do you want to know this?" she finally asks.

Silence.

Flash

2014- Stop thinking about this. Think about something else.

Flash

2010- "Why do you want to know this?" she asks. It's at this point that she feels her hubby gripping her hand very tightly... though she takes no notice.

Pause

"Why are you asking me this?" she asks again. This time she is starting to sense that all is not well.

"I'm so sorry, there's no heartbeat."

Flash

2014- Seriously, why are you going there? You need to stop. You are driving. You promised yourself that you wouldn't do this to yourself this pregnancy. Things are going so much better this time. You have a diagnosis, you have medication, and this baby is doing much better than your son or Frostina. You need to snap out of it. NOW!

Flash

2010- The world stops. She can hear her husband sobbing inconsolably. He is screaming, "No, no. Do something. Can't you save him?" She can hear his wails but is completely numb. She feels nothing.

It's pandemonium at this point. The girl assisting the scan leaves the room. Shortly after that, their OB enters the room to confirm the devastating news. There are no signs of life, their baby is dead. Based on what they can see, he has been gone for at least a week.

Flash

2014- To this day I still can't belive I didn't know. I still can't believe that I thought I could feel him moving... even after I knew he was gone.

It's raining outside now, a reflection of my inner mood. But again it's time to snap out of it. I promised myself I would.

Flash

2010- Phone calls have to be made. She calls her parents in California and wakes them up. She has lost track of time and has no idea what time it is for them. Her Hubby has to call his employees to tell them he won't be back for the rest of the day, and that the BBQ and chili dinner are off. They want to know why and of course he has to tell them. 

More sobs and wails from her Husband, but she is still completely numb. The truth won't hit her for hours, but when it does it will feel like a building falling on her.

Flash

2014- Ok, enough already. I'm serious... it's time to snap out of it. You have to drive in the rain and you don't want to get into an accident now do you?

So I wipe my tears and pull myself together. It's been a very long time since I've had any flashbacks and I can't say I miss them.

This whole episode happened to me last week and it's taken this long for me to be able to write about it. I swear, just about the time I think I've got my grief under control it comes back to let me know I don't. I read a post earlier this week that Brooke wrote about grief coming to visit when you least expect it. Well I'm here to testify that grief is truly it's own entity and it comes to visit on it's schedule, not yours. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, it's always just around the corner.


19 comments:

  1. I can only imagine. Thinking of you and you precious babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your strength to keep going and have Frostina and little O. Love to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, I think it takes a lot of strength to keep going after an experience like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How impossibly hard to go through that. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. Continuing to lift your family up in prayer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your right about grief. It shows no mercy. Big hugs to you as you power through this. Big, big, big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the same weirdness of flashes back to my pregnancy with Eliza, my pregnancy with Zuzu--and, like your Olea, Rerun is actually "testing" better and maybe even moving more than either of my first two babies did. But those flashbacks are gripping and unshakable. Thinking of you as we come up on the final weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the flashbacks. I never consciously think about the hospital and our horrible memories there, but there are sleepless nights when it is all I can think about... and then sometimes even random moments during the day when the memories pop by for a visit. It is just awful. Thinking of you and hoping for wonderful things these next few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very sorry. Losing a child and the grief that surrounds you is unlike anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry. Thinking of you and hoping that all goes smoothly over these next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. Yes. Yes. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Around the corner, just under the surface, waiting to jump out at you and take you down to the depths of that initial, raw grief.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry. This post really touched me. Sending love and hugs and support.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In tears. I can't imagine this pain. Grief does hit at the worst times, but hopefully there is joy to counteract it soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh honey. There's no timetable for grief, and it's impossible that you wouldn't revisit that kind of deep trauma when you have to repeat the scene with this pregnancy. Don't blame yourself for memory and its power.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm here with you. I don't comment as often as I read. But I'm here, reading and supporting and sending love.

    I'm not pregnant...but I get flash backs all the time of that horrible night. Almost as if to replay and catch myself before it all falls apart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even imagine the range of emotions you have gone through... Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recognize these flashes. They happened to me a lot with Cooper's pregnancy. All the different milestones I hit had me feeling all those nerves and grief again, like it was yesterday. I went through a particularly bad day of flashbacks when hitting week 20, gender scan. I kept seeing my twins being born and it was enough to make me take the day off of work. These things come around, but my child made his living appearance and all was well. Soon enough you will see this too.

    ReplyDelete