Saturday 15 June 2013

Crawling At Last

We have mobility at last! It's about freaking time!

I have been worried for a long time that Frostina wasn't crawling. When all the other babies in her playgroup were crawling around, she was happy to sit and play. She knew how to roll but hardly ever did it. Instead, she would play happily until she wasn't happy anymore. Then she would cry until I moved her to a new toy or the jumperoo or brought something interesting for her to play with.

Clever girl had me trained well.

She has been cruising for a while now and I started to think that she would be one of those babies who skipped crawling and went straight to walking. This was OK in theory, but I still worried that by not crawling she would miss some kind of development milestone that could hurt her in the future. *Note- I realise I sound completely neurotic, and I am. I accepted this fact about myself when it comes to Frostina a long time ago.

So imagine how shocked I was today when she decided that she wants to crawl. I swear it came out of nowhere. She has been rocking on all fours for a while now but no signs of real movement. I think all her new found mobility when she's cruising has motivated her to not just want to sit in one spot anymore. She was crawling and doing this funny scoot all over the place today.

The hubby and I are so proud of our little crawler. I know a year is quite late to get started, but we're so pleased she's finally figured it all out. 

I suppose it's finally time to do some real childproofing now.

5 comments:

  1. Yay Frostina
    It's amazing how easily they train us. :)
    And you do not sound neurotic about worrying...at least not in this community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you're not neurotic. When my son was having problems with writing, aged 6, his teacher asked if he'd ever crawled. She said that, in her experience, sometimes a child who has problems with writing, is one who never crawled. In those cases, she sets them crawling as an exercise, and it helps. There's something that needs to develop in the brain with the diagonal movement of crawling.

    Of course that doesn't mean that every child who doesn't crawl will have problems with reading and writing. My daughter never crawled and didn't, so that's at least one example.

    But it does mean you're not neurotic. There are processes that babies go through that help develop the brain in certain ways that are still unresearched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stepmother told me the same thing, and she too was a teacher.

      Crawling is an important step...but it's not to say its a default for future development. My SIL's kids never crawled...all three...went straight to walking. We'll see how they do.

      Delete
  3. G didn't move from where I put her for her first year, it was glorious. Then she learned to walk, and as an afterthought a few months later, crawl. She just wasn't into it I guess. Congratulations Frostina for your milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Frostina! Go baby go!! Olivia is taking 5-6 steps at a time now and it is amazing to see them explore. Good thing they have cushy diapers on....Olivia falls a lot too! I am sure Frostina will start walking soon too - better baby proof now while she isn't moving too fast yet!

    ReplyDelete