Sunday 9 August 2015

Talking at School

Frostina started preschool in January. She goes 3 mornings a week, just enough time for her to have something that is hers and enough time for me to get some one on one time with Olea. At the end of the year (well half year really) I had a conference with her teacher to see how she was doing.

I was shocked to hear that she doesn't talk at school. My chatty, happy girl doesn't talk at school? I couldn't believe it and I was worried. Her teacher told me they thought she couldn't speak at all until they heard her talking to me. She said it's normal and not to worry.

So of course I worried.

I played games with her where she was asking her teachers questions. Each morning when we got to school I would have her tell me what color shirt her teachers were wearing. It worked a bit, I was told she would answer them yes or no and tell them when she needed the potty but nothing else.

So I worried some more.

I opted not to send her to summer session to give her a break and also to make time for swim lessons. I was hoping a break in the routine of not talking at school would help.

Last week was her first week back at school. On Friday I got a call from her new teacher. She is doing very well and seems comfortable in class. Some of the older girls in the class (it's Montessori) have taken her under their wing and are inviting her to play at recess. She asked if I had any questions.

Of course I only had one, was she talking at school.

The answer was yes! The teacher told me that Frostina is quiet, but she does speak in class and participates in the morning calendar which apparently is a time when all the children participate in a group lesson.

I am so relieved. I have no idea if the time away helped, or if being 3 helps, or if it's the new teacher. I am just so happy that she is feeling comfortable enough to not shut down.

Who knew these little people could cause so much worry.




3 comments:

  1. My chatterbox at home will not interact with his peers. It makes me worried too. He's great with big kid cousins but clams totally if a kid talks to him at playground. I'm hoping getting older (3 in Oct) and having a little preschool experience this fall will help!
    I'm glad Frostina is more comfortable now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't start any kind of school until I was over 5 (kindergarten) and I barely spoke then. Like some of the kids in the class didn't know I could speak. The teacher sent home a note about it and my parents couldn't believe it. Like your Frostina, I was a chatterbox at home. I'm just the shy and quiet type and still reserved in social situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are stuck with your online management assignment then in this case you can opt for our Database Management Assignment help. we provide the best assignment online assignment help.
    We also provide Distributed 20Databse 20Assignment 20help. for students across the globe.
    for more information contact us +16692714848

    ReplyDelete